People die every year from carbon monoxide poisoning when they burn charcoal in enclosed areas such as their homes, in campers or vans, or in tents. Some of the victims die from carbon monoxide poisoning after they burn charcoal in a bedroom or living room for heat or cooking. Some are campers who burn charcoal inside a tent or camper to keep warm. Others are hunters who burn charcoal inside their trucks, cars, or vans. Never use charcoal to cook or provide heat inside enclosed areas such as tents, campers, vans, cars, trucks, homes, garages, or mobile homes because the carbon monoxide can kill you.
“One or two breaths of carbon monoxide will render you unconscious and any further exposure will result in death,”
“Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless. You can’t see it and you can’t smell it. But once it affects you, you very rarely live to tell the tale.”
CARBON MONOXIDE TIPS
– It’s emitted from anything that burns solid wood, coal, or gas
– Is colorless and odorless
– It can build up in your blood stream over time
– Do not bring indoors any heaters or burners designed for use outside
– Symptoms can include headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness and getting a red glow
– If you feel unwell, get some fresh air
A FAMILY from western Sydney who suffered serious carbon monoxide poisoning in their home have been discharged from hospital.
FIRE & Rescue Superintendent Tom Cooper said they were very lucky to be alive after using a charcoal burner inside their Penrith home to keep warm and going to sleep around it.
“Luckily somebody woke up,” he said on Tuesday, earlier noting, “we could have been looking at four fatalities.”
The father drove his two children and their mother to Nepean hospital in the early hours of Tuesday morning with doctors determining they were suffering serious carbon monoxide poisoning.
“Anything that’s designed to be used outdoors, should be left outdoors,” Supt Cooper said.
He added this includes anything that burns solid wood, coal or gas.
In the past two weeks alone, 13 people have required hospital treatment after burning such things indoors, according to the NSW Poisons Information Centre.
Just two weeks ago, a young Sydney couple were killed in Kurrajong from bringing a makeshift wood-fire heater indoors, while four people from Bankstown were also hospitalised on Monday from an outdoor heater.
Supt Cooper says there’s an increase of this sort of behaviour in the colder months.
ng, dizziness, drowsiness and getting a red glow
All Credits to http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/sydney-family-suffers-charcoal-poisoning/story-e6frfku9-1227410419688